Thursday 16 June 2011

Thrifty Thursday - Falling off the wagon

Over the years I've suprised all those who knew me in my pre-mumo days by becoming less materialistic and quite frugal. Some of our friends are bemused by our thriftiness, economical baking and upcycle crafting.For in years gone by, much as I am loathe to admit it now - a new handbag, top or stuff for the house was bought without much thinking going on. But when the kids were born I wanted cloth nappies, homemade products and it went from there. Now 8 years later with the family emphasis on  financial stewardship, fairtrade & ethical/recycling shopping has become the norm. I don't really want the kids growing up thinking getting money is like turning on a tap or that they are underpriviliged if they don't have the latest DS/fashion/ tech gear.

But there are times when the "shopping mist" comes down over me .....I wanted new shoes this week. I've coveted some lovely Fly London ones but they cost a fortune.  I left the shoe shop feeling a bit, well, tetchy, pleased on one hand I'd resisted the urge for a pair of £90 shoes but not so pleased as I wasn't holding a bag. To soothe my ruffled feathers I popped into the Oxfam shop next door to look for some new Pyrex. What could be more soothing than that?(except fabric and maybe wool!!) What did I spot on the floor? Oh I felloff our "non spending" wagon hard. The Shoe Fairy was smiling down with these gorgeous, soft, perfect Ted Baker mules. So for £5 Oxfam was better off and ultimately so was I- yup -  win, win all round in my opinion.

Whats your thrifty moment this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment