Thursday 26 May 2011

Thrifty Thursday - a project for my favourite girl!

You'll know from my posts at the weekend that we cleared out Ems room. All the plastic toys went to charity, the donated dolls that were shoved under the bed, out of sight and mind ( that all  have lipstick and big boobs and more accessories than any woman I know). That left her with a baby doll and lots of soft toys but not a proper dressy dolly, if you know what I mean. I have often reminisced with Ems the story of my rag doll - she had brown hair, shiny black eyes and ruby red lips. Her hair wassoft and brown and straight and I thought she was the most lovely thing in the world. My mum bought her for my ninth birthday and I remember how excited I was when I opened the wrapper and saw this pristine creature smiling up at me.
I looked atmy beautiful daughter to day and thought she may be 8 and it may be 2011 but she is a little girl and little girls should be allowed to like dollies.
So an hour of time we spent, her and I. Cutting a pattern from a craft book, using an old cot sheet...


Meet Alexandra... Ems worked away industriously sewing the little skirt and pulled some ric rac through.She loved the fact that Alexandra has a bright face with open eyes and a tired, eyes shut face too.... just like her. She had knitted the green blankie for a previous project and we'd kept it over - how handy.

What a perfect hour, just the 2 of us crafting away, making something that will be loved forever, out of nothing but a few old scraps, its not perfect, its not Etsy standard but it showed her that nothing everything comes in shiny plastic, paid for my shiny plastic and that love costs nothing but time and effort. Thats a good Thursday, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment