Thursday 7 April 2011

Good intentions....and all that

 
 
Last spring I started gardening - a real desire to try to feed my family fresh, local vegetables that don't cost the earth and provide all the nutrition we need.
I can't get an allotment as the list is too long and I know I suffer from "land-envy"  for those of your with a decent green space. In my teensy little plot only really cut and comeagains and patio produce are going to be possible but still, there's hope.  Last year i had modest success with spinach, kale and lettuce. 
 
 
Not quite enough to have the canning fest I so so want( and dream about nearly every day),  so this year I promised to be much more organised. Over the long snowy winter I drew plans and bought seeds, read copious gardening books and even more preserving books. I've lusted after maslin pans and scoured websites and auctions for canning materials.
According to the extremely rigid schedule I made in November I should have had most of the garden dug and the sunroom should by now have been full of verdantly fecundant seedlings. Green life was due to have bursted forth.. no exploded forth.  
 
Note the repeated use of the word "should"  
 
This so far is our crop.
 The comfrey hasn't germinated and neither have my tomatoes and the courgettes are very, very sleepy. In the garden the situation is equally as dire. Our compost bin which we have been filling diligently from last year with the appropriate mixture, (taken from these books The Thrifty Garden and this. Don't you just love Alice's garden?!) is still the same as it was last year. I'd kinda of expected to lift the latch and for crumbly, moist, dark earth  to fall out but no joy there either... its still full of twigs and carrot peels.
 
The sun on my back was very spring like and I made to resolve our situation and today more seeds are going into the pots and I have  little helpers...
 
 



although as you can see the able gardeners prefer the slide! 
peace to you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment