Wednesday 27 April 2011

Nature's larder

For weeks the hunt has been on. With every hint of increasing spring weather we've been looking, searching. To no avail. The recipes waiting. Last night we were down on the beach, a new path back through the forest was found. Still no sign - lots of bunny rabbits, tweeting birds, vetch, nettle, dandelion, clover - abundance of nature, but not what I was looking for. We clambered into the car, and as I siganlled out I checked the drivers wing mirror and lo! up on the bank at the edge of the mirror was reflected acres of little white chirpy flowers. My bounty at last!

An afternoon of bliss was had making pesto (read playing like a kid!) with the garlic, good parmesan and some nuts, olive oil. I don't use a recipe per se, its more rough and ready than that. I throw it all in and taste and flavour.
I added some lemon juice (all Italian mamas will shudder) but it does give it another layer of freshness.
Its perfect for pasta, marinade rub on meat and fish or lovely with toasted crostada.

The rest as you may be able to see from the pic was mixed into some lovely fresh irish butter  which was very soft and then rolled into some baking paper(you can use cling also but the paper is thriftier as at the end any waxy bits of butter can be used to a pan or two). I then pop it in the freezer and any time we need garlic butter i just slice a bit off. Delicious.

I'm reading Anna del Conte's biography which is just glorious gastronomy. She makes it all sound so simple and in the book is a great recipe in it for risotto with nettles and I think I'll cook it one night next week and add some of my lovely wild garlic. Will let you know how it goes.

Peace to you all

No comments:

Post a Comment